Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jail Letter to Sen.Clinton/ Faith enough for reform.

Good People & People of Faith,

This message has info on:
1. Jail Letter to Sen. Clinton - before trial
2. Faith enough for reform - Thanks for God's help?

We have a page at the web site which has a schedule of events and a map to describe activity we have planned for John Murtari's Federal trial on March 18th. We'd like to get an idea of how many people plan on being there. Please respond to this message and also "CC" a copy to Kevin Purdy (kevin@AKidsRight.Org).

From John - "My trial is next Tuesday and I hope to see some friendly faces there when I'm led into the Court Room. It would certainly bring a warm smile to my face and be a positive demonstration to the Judge, US Attorney, and media -- that the Family Rights issues this parent is risking jail for are important. Hope to see you there, each positive action we take as individuals is valuable."

1. Jail Letter to Sen. Clinton - before trial

Below is the text of a handwritten letter John Murtari just mailed to Senator Clinton's Syracuse & Washington offices. We encourage you to FAX your thoughts to the numbers below:

Syracuse FAX: 315-448-0476
Washington FAX: 202-228-0121
----------

March 6, 2008

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton
James M. Hanley Federal Building
100 South Clinton Street
P.O. Box 7378
Syracuse, NY 13261-7378

Dear Senator Clinton (Mr. Biba),

This letter comes to you from a jail cell and my Federal Trial in Syracuse is on March 18th. By that date I will have already spent 50 days in jail. My alleged offense is writing “I LOVE YOU” to my son and “SEN CLINTON HELP US!” with kid’s chalk on the ground of the Federal Plaza.

Members of our group AKidsRight.Org, have visited your local and Washington offices. Many parents have called and written your local office. I know I have called three times in the past few months to talk to Mr. Biba, your regional representative, and no calls have been returned. We feel ignored.

I can understand how busy you and your staff must be and that the concept of Family Rights, as a recognized Civil Right, is a new issue. I’m coordinator for a growing group of loving Moms and Dads who were unjustly separated from their kids due to divorce, separation, or child “protective” services.

We have seen our families, and especially our children go through needless heartache and pain – it was an issue we also had not recognized, till it happened to us!

Our immediate goal is a local meeting between you and a small group of mothers and fathers associated with our group. We hope that after you have a chance to hear our stories and also from other groups – you will endorse a call for Congressional Hearings and eventually the creation of a Family Rights Act.

An Act to recognize and protect the right of our children to have TWO parents equally involved in their lives AND the right of parents to raise and nurture their own children. That requires parents be found guilty in a criminal court, with jury protection, of being a demonstrated serious threat to their kids – before government can interfere in family life.

I can think of no more important issue. One that affects the very fabric of our society. We have a draft meeting agenda at our web site: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/draft_agenda.htm.

My contact info is below. I look forward to your response!

Respectfully yours,

John Murtari
34 Franklin Street
Lyons, NY 14489
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org
315-635-1968, x-211



2. Faith enough for reform - Thanks for God's help?

THANKS FOR GOD'S HELP

Did many of you catch that in the last message? Did it bother you? You know, I almost didn't put it in – imagine that! I got some recent feedback that said "All of the talk about religion and Jesus seems out of place." Now imagine that! Although many seem to appreciate the integral part Faith plays in NonViolent Action, others have counseled me I should down play the religion stuff ...

But that would have lied about my experience here in the jail and what keeps me going. It certainly isn't anger at the people in the system, or a desire for revenge against my former spouse. I can't even say my ability to tolerate weeks in jail is from the strong love I have for my son; or a response to the terrible indignity with which many of you have been treated.

I survive this, and can repeat it, because of my Faith (imperfect as it is) in a Loving God. I have a book of Psalms, the Liturgy of the Hours, and after every meal and at night I follow through the cycle. Some may be disturbed by the Psalms that follow. They not only request help from the Divine, but also admit personal failure that has no excuse. Certainly not the "I'm okay/you're okay" and everything is relative take on life.

Last year we featured Thanksgiving Day Proclamation of President Lincoln. Did any of you find it strange that he called the Civil War a result of our Nation's "perverseness." Have you heard any recent politicians talk about America that way?

Are we the perfect cry babies? We sit & squeal about injustice that hurts us, but we expect someone else to "make it all better." We just need to yell a little louder!

We fail to embrace the Divine precept and love our neighbor as we love ourself. Prepared to lay down our life for a friend? Do we want our children caught in the same system?

During this season of Lent, before Easter, may be a good time to reflect on our own behavior, and what we could have done and can still do better!

Here are a few excerpts from my favorites. I hope you will enjoy them also!

Psalm 142

With all my voice I cry to the Lord,
with all my voice I entreat the Lord.
I pour out my troubles before him;
I tell him all my distress
while my spirit faints within me.
But you, O Lord, know my path...

Listen then to my cry
for I am in the depths of distress.
Rescue me from those who pursue me
for they are stronger than I.
Bring my soul out of this prison
and then I shall praise your name.

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness.
In your compassion blot out my offense.
O wash me more and more from my guilt
and cleanse me from my sins.

My offenses truly I know them;
my sin is always before me.
Against you, you alone, have I sinned;
what is evil in your sight I have done...

Indeed you love truth in the heart;
then in the secret of my heart teach me wisdom...
A pure heart create for me, O God,
put a steadfast spirit within me...

O rescue me. God, my helper,
and my tongue shall ring out your goodness
O Lord, open my lips
and my mouth shall declare your praise.

For in sacrifice you take no delight,
burnt offering from me you would refuse,
my sacrifice, a contrite spirit.
A humbled, contrite heart you will not spurn...

Psalm 13

How long, O Lord, will you forget me?
How long will you hide your face?
How long must I bear grief in my soul,
this sorrow in my heart day and night?

Look at me, answer me, Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes lest I fall asleep in death,
lest my enemy say: “I have overcome him”;
lest my foes rejoice to see my fall.

As for me, I trust in your merciful love.
Let my heart rejoice in you saving help...


--
John Murtari
___________________________________________
Coordinator AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"
Toll Free (877) 635-1968(x-211) http://www.AKidsRight.Org/

No comments: